Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Flourless Black Bean Brownies

Ok, so by the name they sound pretty, well, disgusting. BUT, let me tell you they are not! I got this recipe from work when my co-workers and clients made them and I was a bit skeptical but I am usually open to trying new things (to a certain extent..not so much in the meat department though). When I got the chance to try it I was rather shocked at how good they tasted for having black beans in them. Honestly, you can't even taste the black beans.

I don't by any means follow a gluten-free diet but I am trying to eat clean and less processed. And with these brownies definitely being a bit more "clean" than say box brownies and less in the fat department than other brownies I was sold. And to me...they taste delish!

So, I thought I would share this recipe. Eating clean has become very popular and honestly it does make you feel better when you don't put all that processed junk in your body. I can't give up certain processed things and there is no way at being perfect with eating clean, but you can be more aware and watch what you put in your mouth. Now, these aren't the "cleanest" brownies being that they have sugar and canola oil in them and chocolate chips, but I feel a lot better about eating these than eating some of the other desserts you can buy or make. I did find some other recipes that use alternatives such as raw honey and applesauce to add sweetness, but I haven't made those yet so I can't say how they taste (but I'm sure they are just as good). But do some research and try new things and you will be surprised with what you come up with!

I dug into the brownies before I took a picture...oops!







1 15oz Can Black Beans - Rinsed and Drained
1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips (Divided)
3 Tbsp Canola Oil
3 Eggs
2/3 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Baking Cocoa
1 Tsp Vanilla
1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/8 Tsp Salt

1. Place beans, 1/4 C chocolate chips and oil in a food processor - process till blended. Add eggs, brown sugar, cocoa, vanilla, baking powder and salt. Process till smooth.

2. Pour mixture into a 9" baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips.
Bake 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick come out clean. Makes 12 bars.

Nutritional Info:

1 Brownie = 167 calories, 7g fat, 131mg sodium, 2g fiber, 4g protein

Here are some other links to more "clean" brownies that I will be trying soon.

Black Bean Brownies - Green Plate Rule

Black Bean Brownies - Mom Colored Glasses

Give any of these recipes a try and Im sure you will be more than surprised!



My workout partner!!! The best one ever!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment